Friday, January 2, 2015

being told the truth


Ever hear that telling the truth hurts?  How about hearing the truth?  Let me tell you, it hurts too.  One thing I always ask of people is to tell me the truth…the simple things such as that outfit looks awful on you all the way to the big things, you are making a huge mistake in doing that etc.  I don’t always want to hear the truth and I don’t always listen to the truth but I’m always hoping and expecting people to tell me the truth.

Hearing the truth hurts.  Being told the truth isn’t any of fun.  But in the big picture, it’s a hell of a lot better than being lied to.  It’s a hell of a lot better than a lot of things.

I’m glad that I’ve noticed how much I’ve grown as a person in hearing the truth today.  I’m surprised by how much it hurts but my first reaction wasn’t to get angry.  It wasn’t to badmouth the whole thing.  It was to turn to ice cream or alcohol or chocolate.  Luckily I realized that and found a better alternative.  (I ran to work out J)  I found a self-medication that is good for me long run…As long as I don’t over do it!  And of course I hit the coffee shop for writing and coffee!

I’m surprisingly not angry about the truth I heard today.  I’d be lying if I said it didn’t hurt.  I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t surprised.  It wasn’t what I was expecting but I am a better person for hearing it today.  I’m a better person for listening and being open to actually hearing the truth instead of trying to make things all better.   I’m a better person for accepting the truth as it was told to me.  Accepting the choices that others make while respecting the honesty in telling the truth.

Life isn’t a bunch of roses.  Life doesn’t always smell or look pretty.  What matters are the people you surround yourself with, the people you lean on, the people you trust.  They will be there for the good and the bad.  They will be there to tell you the truth…even when it hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment