Tuesday, November 18, 2014

hard work?!?

A comment was made to me today while I was working out in the pool.  A therapist that I had seen multiple times throughout recovery and I were just chatting.  (He wasn't one of my PT's but I tend to talk to everyone ;) )  We revisited what happened and what I was working on in the pool.  He looked surprised after hearing abut cauda equina syndrome and how well I was actually moving around.  Then he was even more surprised hearing it's only been a year.  His comment was it must have taken a lot of hard work to get back to where I am. 

Looking back, I don't see it as a lot of hard work.  I don't remember putting hard work in.  I know that I put work and effort in but don't really look at it as hard work.   Maybe my definition of hard work is different than everyone else's.  Yes, I've put a lot of work in.  Yes, originally I couldn't do a lot of things.  I couldn't walk without a walker.  I couldn't do stairs by myself.  I couldn't walk in the pool without holding onto the railing.  Just because I couldn't do it then didn't mean I wasn't going to do it some day.  I just kept working and trying it every day.  I'm sure I put a lot of hours in but it wasn't hard.  At least I didn't classify it as hard.  I saw it was necessary.  I had to be doing something.  I couldn't just sit there and hope I would heal.  I had to do something.  I had to be active (as much as I could).  Did I push myself?  Yes.  Did I expect my PT's to push me?  Yes!    

Looking back it wasn't hard,  it was what it was.  I didn't know any other way to go about it.

Looking back, I was positive about everything.  What other option was there?  People are surprised by how positive I stayed throughout the whole process.  Even those that got my little bit of negativity here and there because there were definitely days that I was negative, comment about how positive I stayed.  
Again.  It was what it was.  I didn't know any other way to go about it.  I couldn't change what happened.  I couldn't change how my body was reacting.  I couldn't change anything.  I had to accept and keep going.  so  I did.  and I still am.  

I now know what it feels like to be old and arthritic.  cold weather is no fun.  but the workout in the warm water pool feels great.  so guess what...I'll be spending a lot of time in the warm water pool this winter :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment